Friday, September 22, 2006

Happy Autumn

Tonight is the Autumnal Equinox. huzzah. I love autumn. The crispness in the air invokes a Pavlovian reaction in me. I've always loved fall. Growing up I loved the sense of newness and anticipation of a new school year - yeah, I was a smarty-pants academic geek. So why was I looking forward to another year of being reminded daily that I wasn't one of the popular kids? All I can say is that sometimes when it appears that someone is running towards a cliff, they are actually running away from the herd of stampeeding buffalo.

Now that I'm older, the excitement and anticipation of fall remain, but for all different reasons. I love the crispness in the air, the clear blue fall sky, the leafpeeping, the autumn fashion (sweaters! boots! tweed!), the holidays (having social justification to wear costumes out of the house RULES)... I always overspend in the fall, my seasonal enthusiasm translates into retail recklessness as I refresh my closet and kitchen with warm comforts that exude a sense of family. Never will you see placemats and fabric napkins on my table but in the fall. I don't do spring cleaning, I do fall cleaning. And most of my culinary adventures are in autumn - I make amazing butternut squash bisque, moroccan roast lamb, beef vegetable stew, and roast carrots.

Winter is fine, I love Christmastime almost as much as the turn of summer to fall. And you can't beat the eggnog lattes. :) Spring is okay, summer is nice, but no season positively affects my mood like the fall does.

So I hope you are having a lovely last day of summer, and are looking forward to autumn as much as I am.

~Elphie

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are quite the cook. :-)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Elphaba said...

just for 3 months of the year. :)

~E

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home