Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

Microsoft names the Nintendo Wii as their recommended secondary gaming system. Nintendo, not Sony's Playstation 3. Duh. If you have been paying any attention you might have noticed that Playstation and XBox are fierce competitors in the game console space so this won't be much of a surprise to you.

Sony names the Nintendo Wii as their recommended secondary gaming system. Nintendo, not Microsoft's XBox 360. Duh*2. If you have been paying any attention you might have noticed that Playstation and XBox are fierce competitors in the game console space so this won't be much of a surprise to you. (deja vu!). On top of that, in the article Sony tries to make a case for the lofty PS3 price tag with the whole Blue Ray justification. Some folks just aren't buying that argument though, and I must admit that I tend to agree...

So in a moment of blinding clarity and insight, one blogger points out: doesn't that mean that the Nintendo Wii will be the primary gaming system with the most market share, and Sony and Microsoft will be the secondary systems? uhm, well, it depends on whose marketing team you are on.

I think though that primary and secondary console crowns shouldn't be driven purely by market share but mind share. I've got an XBox 360, and expect I'll get a Wii (despite the truly unfortunate name). But which will I spend more time playing? That is the true measure of which console is master and which is slave.

wii wii wii, all the way home
~Elphie

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Elphaba said...

uhhmmmm yeah. not sure what you are suggesting about my workplace or colleagues, but your blog entertains me and I'm sure if I think a bit on it I'll figure it out. :)

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home