Tuesday, May 08, 2007

words of wisdom from the Frag Dolls

A couple weekends ago I was playing an online game with some friends (hi Vyxxen and Strix!) and we got to chatting about being a girl gamer. One of my friends had just that evening been chatted up by another player, and things started innocently enough. But before she knew it, he was describing himself and asking her for a description of herself, asking if she was hot, etc. This sucks for a girl. There you are, having fun in a game, chatting with someone who you might be able to trade items with or help out on a quest, and next thing you know he is telling you he has great pecs and likes rockclimbing. If you aren't interested in enabling the world of one-hand-typers, yet want to be friendly and not piss someone off who might trash talk you as a bitch in forums and the game, how do you politely get out of this discussion? Really, if you know, please tell me! I don't feel like I should have to pretend to be a guy online to avoid this sort of thing.

Valkerie over at the Frag Dolls has some words of wisdom, but they are more for the guys than helping the girls out of this situation. Check out The Top 10 Most UNORIGINAL Things You Can Say to a Girl Gamer.

~Elphie

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My advice to someone in that position would be...

Bring up your children (even the ones you don't have, if need be). I don't speak for every guy, but most of the time I hear a woman use any form of the words "kid" or "child", I become less interested.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, its really the girl's fault for putting themselves in a position to be harassed by playing games with the boys. why stop at made up kids? why not claim to be paraplegic or a leper? Really, its our responcibility to be as offensive as possible so guys aren't interested.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Elphaba said...

hey now Anonymous 2, Anonymous 1 was just trying to help (after all, I did ask for suggestions).

I just think it's funny that Anonymous 1 admitted to hitting on random women on the internet. :)

~E

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't admit to hitting on random women *on the internet*. I would be telling tales if I had. However, I certainly have approached more-or-less 'random' women with... pre-conceived interests in mind.

Indeed, I wasn't trying to say that anyone *should* have to go to those lengths; it's pretty sad that anyone does.

However, if you do find yourself in such a "situation" and "Sorry, I'm not interested" won't work, sometimes a hint is the best Plan B.

The word is more "unavailable" than "offensive". I suppose I should have suggested mentioning your boyfriend/spouse/the guy you're interested in/etc. before I implied that you should invent children.

Note, I didn't say "the girl you're interested in". That trick just doesn't work for most guys if you're not straight. Only makes them more interested. ;-)

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home