Saturday, May 27, 2006

Back from blogcation

tan, rested, and ready to resume blogging...

Someone anonymously submitted a comment to my recent posting about game consoles that pointed to this article about MSN's George Foreman strategy for naming. Instead of approving the comment where it would be buried in a post, I'm making it our featured topic for today (hey, its my first day back, cut me some slack). I'm assuming this is another entry in the 'unfortunate name' category because I picked on Nintendo's Wii (if you play with it too much I've heard that you'll grow hair on the palms of your hands). While a valid example, it's just too easy to pick on MSN. I mean really, this is the group responsible for the iLoo.

That said, the unfortunate-name-game is fun. What else ya got? Don't just restrict yourself to computer technology. Think globally, but do your research first so you don't look like a retard - the Chevy Nova is just an urban legend.

~Elphie

By the way, out of respect for my reader's privacy and valuable time (creating throwaway anonymous gmail accounts takes time) I've changed the blog settings so you don't have to register with Blogger to make a comment. But to cut down on spam I do still moderate comments.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I was curious enough about what a George Foreman naming strategy was to read the damned article.

George Foreman is famous as a boxer, as far as I know. Reading that article was the first I've heard of how he's "famous" for his naming of his sons.

Isn't the point of the "George Foreman strategy" that there was no strategy? I'd hate to see that point made about MSN. In general, though, the idea of a web-driven "super-brand" for software, web search, e-mail, hosting, chat, and eventually, your kitchen appliances and housewares... seems to be a poor one.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Elphaba said...

hmmm, you're right, a brief summary of the article would have been a nice thing for me to include in the post. my bad.

However, I don't know that the "George Foreman naming strategy" is to have NO strategy. I think it is certainly a lack of creativity and a bad strategy, not a lack of strategy entirely. One could extend the argument that men are driven to perpetuate their genetic line through procreation so naming your children after you is just a continuation of that - George Jr. or George Foreman III another generation down the line would be perfectly normal. But George Sr. took this to an extreme and named ALL his kids George - the five boys (George Jr.-George VI) and even two of his five daughters (Freeda George and Georgetta).

"I called them all George because I was worried that when I was older I might suffer from memory loss. I would have called my five girls George, too, but my wife said she thought that was overkill."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0286040/bio

~E

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to name my kids after inanimate objects like 'doorknob' or 'carpet'. Man that would rock!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Elphaba said...

Sounds like someone is on a home improvement kick, or maybe moonlighting at Home Depot.

But hey, why not, if you've got the dough (or health benefits) to cover the kid's shrink, go for it. Kids have been named equally fscked up things before. Such as: Dweezil, Moon Unit, Diva Muffin, Apple, Kal-el (the name of Superman on planet Krypton, didn't you know?), Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches Honeyblossom, Little Pixie, Satchel, Zowie, Audio Science, or Rainbow Joan of Arc.

If your kids have freaky enough real names, do you think they might choose "Michael" or "Jennifer" as their haxor handles? :)

~E

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home